Forums

Exemption related doubt

Others

The exemption rules say that if a student fails in one/more paper but secures 60 marks in a group will be given exemption. My question is, what if a student pass in 3 subjects of a group with 40 marks and gets 60 marks in one paper like in the above example: Accounts- 60 Law - 40 Costing - 40 Tax - 40 Total -- 180(fail) In this example, he/she didn't fail even in single paper. Will ICAI give exemption to accounts or not? (As in the rule, they gave only the word paper/papers but not group)

IMG_20230607_234945.jpg

Naresh Sundar

Naresh Sundar

CA Inter

2K+

07-Jun-23 23:53

Answers (7)

Exemption will be given for accounts.

CYNOPHILE S

CYNOPHILE S

CA Inter

08-Jun-23 07:19

Exemption will be granted. I liked the way you could strictly interpret the language - will be quite helpful in law!

CA Suraj Lakhotia

CA Suraj Lakhotia

Admin

08-Jun-23 07:20

Thanks for clarification.

Naresh Sundar

Naresh Sundar

CA Inter

2K+

08-Jun-23 09:08

I am surprised how the regulation was drafted. The actual bare text of the regulations is given below. However if you score 60%, you get exemption if you fail in the group. "Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-regulations (1) to (5), a candidate who fails in one or more papers comprised in a group but secures a minimum of 60 per cent of the marks in any paper or papers of that group shall be eligible to appear at any one or more of the immediately next three following examinations in the paper or papers in which he secured less than 60 per cent marks. He shall be declared to have passed in that group if he secures at one sitting a minimum of 40 per cent marks in each of such papers and a minimum of 50 per cent of the total marks of all the papers of that group including the paper or papers in which he had secured a minimum of 60 per cent marks in the earlier examination referred to above. He shall not be eligible for any further exemption in the remaining paper(s) of that group until he has exhausted the exemption already granted to him in that group.]

CA Suraj Lakhotia

CA Suraj Lakhotia

Admin

08-Jun-23 09:47

Before raising the query, I also referred bare text sir. As you can see even in this, they used only the word paper(s) but not group.

Naresh Sundar

Naresh Sundar

CA Inter

2K+

08-Jun-23 10:46

It must implied that failing in a paper/ group is same in this regulation.

Naresh Sundar

Naresh Sundar

CA Inter

2K+

08-Jun-23 10:48

Offer