Forums

Under absorption overhead

Costing

Why are we transferring all the under absorption to costing pnl when there is finished goods in the warehouse.isnt that we have to transfer only proportionate under absorption to pnl since closing stock is also related to production?

Gokul Nath

Gokul Nath

CA Inter

15-Mar-23 20:22

Answers (8)

Those finished goods have already absorbed their share of OH

Sudha Reddy

Sudha Reddy

CA Final

20K+

16-Mar-23 10:42

I am talking about the under absorption which we are transferring to costing pnl.not the general overhead

Gokul Nath

Gokul Nath

CA Inter

16-Mar-23 15:28

Can you give the details of the content or illustration you are referring to.

Sudha Reddy

Sudha Reddy

CA Final

20K+

16-Mar-23 15:40

Imagine this is in cost sheet.at the end of the cost sheet, we find the profit and now we subtract or add under absorption or over absorption to find the actual profit for that product.what i am asking is we add all the under/over absorption for that product in the cost sheet, but the under/over absorption is due to every product in the factory.but my question here is since we reduce closing work in progress from cost sheet doesn't it means we can only transfer proportionate under/over absorption to find the actual profit instead of transfer all under/over absorption to the profit and loss account

Gokul Nath

Gokul Nath

CA Inter

16-Mar-23 16:07

Yes.but in a cost sheet presentation when u want to bring the cost profit to financial(actual) profit,you reduce it using under/over absorption

Gokul Nath

Gokul Nath

CA Inter

18-Mar-23 12:25

Under absorption or over absorption is an item of abnormal nature. The reason for under absorption or over absorption is deviation from plan/budget. Any item of abnormal nature cannot be made a part of the cost of normal production/output and has to be transferred to the costing p and l

Pranay Mehta

Pranay Mehta

Faculty

24-Mar-23 09:12

What goes to the product is only normal cost. Since there is under/over absorption we need to adjust it separately

Pranay Mehta

Pranay Mehta

Faculty

24-Mar-23 09:13

Individual Modules Offer
FR Reporting